Our dedicated volunteers are essential to the success of Words Alive and our ability to deliver our essential literacy programs and services. More than 250 volunteers contribute more than 5,000 hours every year in support of our mission. Please click on the links to the left for more information about available volunteer opportunities.
Attend a Volunteer Orientation
The first step to volunteer is to attend a 1-hour Volunteer Orientation. The Volunteer Orientation will review the history, mission, values and key services of Words Alive as well as existing volunteer opportunities.
Words Alive is now recruiting for our flagship programs, Early Childhood Services and Teen Services. If you are interested, please complete a volunteer application and attend an upcoming volunteer orientation in 2013:
- Tuesday, June 11 from 1-2pm
- Thursday, July 18 from 2-3pm
- Monday, August 12 from 2-3pm
Please contact Chrissy Green Califf at Chrissy@wordsalive.org if you are interested in registering for the Volunteer Orientation.
Please be aware that our office building is not wheelchair accessible. If you have special needs, please contact the office prior to the volunteer orientation. We can make alternative arrangements. Moreover, our office is a dog-friendly building. If you have pet allergies, please let us know.
5111 Santa Fe Street, Suite 219
San Diego, CA 92109
Click HERE for map.
Complete a Volunteer Application
The second step is to complete a Volunteer Application.
The Volunteer Application should be submitted at the Volunteer Orientation.
Complete a TB Test Screening
The California Education Code requires all persons working with students to be free of tuberculosis. A TB screening is valid for four years from the date of the test. Every Words Alive volunteer working directly with program participants must have proof of a current negative TB test on file at the Words Alive administrative office before the start of their volunteer experience. Please click here to learn about available clinics.
Complete Background Check
Any volunteer working in the Early Literacy Intervention, Adolescent Book Group or scholarship program will now be required to complete a background check. The background check costs $9.95 per volunteer.. If you are interested, there is an option to donate the cost of the background check process to Words Alive.
- Log on to https://wordsalive.volunteerportal.net
- Review text on the Welcome Page, enter the password: Reading5111 and click “I Agree”.
- Enter Personal Information.
- All fields marked with a “*” are required.
- Click “Next”
- Review all information to ensure its accuracy before proceeding.
- If you need to make any corrections you can click on the “Edit” link or the “Previous” button to return to the Personal Information page.
- Click “Next”
- Clicking the "Next" button will send you to a third-party provider to process your billing information. Please be sure to allow pop-ups before clicking "Next".
- Enter payment information and click “Save”
- Review payment information and click “Submit” to process
If you are unable to meet the expense of the background check, please click here.
***Please Note the following***
- If you Quit without clicking Save, the system will not save your information. Your background check will not be run. You will need to start over from the beginning when you return.
- If you click Save before you Quit, you will be provided with a reference code to enter when you return to the site to pick up where you left off.
- When returning to the site, click on this link on the Welcome Page: “If you are returning to finish a previous search, then click here.”
- Enter your last name and reference number to resume your previous search.
Interview for a specific volunteer position
Complete a 15-minute phone interview with a Program Staff Member, regarding your specific interest.
Program Site Visit/Attend a Committee Meeting
Visit one of our program sites or attend a committee meeting.
This will be based on your area of interest.
After placement, attend the required training and scheduled volunteer meetings.